Re: quick question abt pg_dump and restore

От Josh Harrison
Тема Re: quick question abt pg_dump and restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Jan 9, 2008 9:35 AM, A. Kretschmer <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
am  Wed, dem 09.01.2008, um 14:07:13 +0000 mailte Raymond O'Donnell folgendes:
> On 09/01/2008 14:02, Josh Harrison wrote:
>
> >When restoring the pg_dumped data thro psql does the rows of the table
> >are restored in the same order? ie for example if
> >Table A has rows r1,r2,r3,r4,r5 in this order, then if I pg_dump and
> >restore it to another database, will it have the rows in the same order
> >r1,r2,r3,r4,r5? Does this apply to big tables also?
>
> If you use the text dump format, you can see the order in which the rows
> are restored.

Right, but within the table the rows hasn't an order. You can see this
when you select the ctid-column:

test=# create table order_test (i int);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# insert into order_test values (1);
INSERT 0 1
test=*# insert into order_test values (2);
INSERT 0 1
test=*# insert into order_test values (3);
INSERT 0 1
test=*# select ctid, i from order_test ;
 ctid  | i
-------+---
 (0,1) | 1
 (0,2) | 2
 (0,3) | 3
(3 rows)

test=*# update order_test set i=20 where i=2;
UPDATE 1
test=*# update order_test set i=2 where i=20;
UPDATE 1
test=*# select ctid, i from order_test ;
 ctid  | i
-------+---
 (0,1) | 1
 (0,3) | 3
 (0,5) | 2
(3 rows)

Now a pg_dump:

ALTER TABLE public.order_test OWNER TO webmaster;

--
-- Data for Name: order_test; Type: TABLE DATA; Schema: public; Owner:
webmaster

COPY order_test (i) FROM stdin;
1
3
2
\.

Now the question: what is the correct order?

All my requirement is that the dumped table in database2 should be in the same order as the original table(at the time of dump) in database1 .
Thanks
josh