How exactly PostgreSQL allocates memory for its needs?

От Anton Maksimenkov
Тема How exactly PostgreSQL allocates memory for its needs?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Can anybody briefly explain me how each postgres process allocate
memory for it needs?
I mean, what is the biggest size of malloc() it may want? How many
such chunks? What is the average size of allocations?

I think that at first it allocates contiguous piece of shared memory
for "shared buffers" (rather big, hundreds of megabytes usually, by
one chunk).
What next? temp_buffers, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem - are they
allocated as contiguous too?
What about other needs? By what size they are typically allocated?
--
antonvm