Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Andreas Karlsson
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/27/18 4:11 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> I agree with your larger point, but in this case the two breakages do not
>> seem equal. As far as I gather the removal of recovery.conf will in practice
>> result in a longer downtime when your recovery scripts breaks but not any
>> data loss. While if we remove the exclusive backup mode then some people's
>> backup scripts will break and if they do not properly monitor their backups
>> they risk data loss.
>
> Let's please try to remember that this is across a major version upgrade
> and is removing a broken capability that's already been deprecated for a
> couple years.

I know that and you know that, but even our own manual use the exclusive
mode in some of the examples, e.g: "pg_start_backup('label_goes_here')"[1].

Your point about that people who do not monitor their backups wont
notice warnings is fair, but even so I think we should give people more
time to migrate when even our own documentation isn't always clear about
the exclusive mode being deprecated.

1.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-BACKUP

Andreas