Re: Add support for data change delta tables

От PavelTurk
Тема Re: Add support for data change delta tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 1/15/24 12:17 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

po 15. 1. 2024 v 11:11 odesílatel PavelTurk <pavelturk2000@gmail.com> napsal:

On 1/15/24 12:05 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
Hi

po 15. 1. 2024 v 11:00 odesílatel PavelTurk <pavelturk2000@gmail.com> napsal:
Hello all,

Currently PostgreSQL doesn't support data change delta tables. For example, it doesn't support this type of query:

SELECT * FROM NEW TABLE (
     INSERT INTO phone_book
     VALUES ( 'Peter Doe', '555-2323' )
) AS t

PostgreSQL has RETURNING that provides only a subset of this functionality.

So I suggest to add support for data change delta tables. Because this feature is more powerful and it is included
in the SQL Standard.

This is the wrong mailing list - probably you should send your proposal to pgsql-hackers.

I sent message to pgsql-hackers https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/b85900eb-9e3c-e358-aa8f-5a27b30c17e7%40gmail.com
but got no answer. I decided that my message was ignored because I used wrong mailing list.

The community development is based on patches. If you propose some feature,  usually you should implement it. Probably nobody will implement it instand you.

I am Java developer - I wish, but I can't

I am sorry, but you cannot expect, so somebody will accept your proposal extra seriously. Proposing some feature is a simple thing, but implementing some not trivial feature requires hundreds of hours of development.

To tell the truth I find it rather strange. I know that there is a big difference between proposing some feature and implementing it. But all projects I came across with work this way -
you as a user come and propose a feature. The developers of the project consider your issue and either accept it to implement or decline it.

You can check the work on features for Postgres https://commitfest.postgresql.org/ and I don't think so there is a lot of free capacity for implementing some new features partially redundant to already supported features.

Regards

Pavel

Best regards, Pavel