Re: Clean up some pg_dump tests

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Clean up some pg_dump tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09.10.23 11:20, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I tried this out.  I agree it's a good change.  BTW, this made me
> realize that "unlike" is not a good name: maybe it should be called
> "except".

right

> I would add quotes to the words "like" and "unlike" there.  Otherwise,
> these sentences are hard to parse.  Also, some commentary on what this
> is about seems warranted: maybe "Check that this test properly defines
> which dumps the output should match on." or similar.

Done.

I also moved the code a bit earlier, before the checks for supported
compression libraries etc., so it runs even if those cause a skip.

> I didn't like using diag(), because automated runs will not alert to any
> problems.  Now maybe that's not critical, but I fear that people would
> not notice problems if they are just noise in the output.  Let's make
> them test errors.  fail() seems good enough: with the lines I quote
> above and omitting the test corrections, I get this, which seems good
> enough:

After researching this a bit more, I think "die" is the convention for
problems in the test definitions themselves.  (Otherwise, you're writing
a test about the tests, which would be a bit weird.)  The result is
approximately the same.

Вложения