Re: [HACKERS] One-shot expanded output in psql using \G

От D'Arcy Cain
Тема Re: [HACKERS] One-shot expanded output in psql using \G
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-01-27 10:05 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 02:27:37PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> I frequently find myself in the situation that I want the "\x"
>> expanded output mode activated just for one query. There's little
>> wrong with typing "\x" and re-executing the query in that case, but
>> then I'm always annoyed that the expanded output is still active for
>> the next query after that.
>
> +1
>
> Your situation is familiar to me, and likely common among heavy users
> of psql.

I am a pretty heavy user of psql but I don't think that that would be so
helpful.  I assume you mean a new option, let's call it "\X" the causes
the next query to be expanded.  I type "\X" then a query.  I realize
that I made a mistake and have to redo the query so I have to type "\X"
again.  If I forget then I have to run the query yet again.

What would be useful for me is a control that causes every query to be
expanded if it returns exactly one row.  Now I can do this:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE table_status = 1; % get a short list
SELECT * FROM table WHERE table_id = 123; % drill down to one ID

The first would give me a normal list and the second would give me an
expanded look at the one I want to see in detail.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.