Re: Oracle buys Innobase

От Matthew Terenzio
Тема Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 8, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> Are there any lessons to be learned from this with regards to
>> PostgreSQL?

Like Marc said, doesn't seem to be a worry to the Postgres community .
. .

Unless this is all really an Oracle ploy to grab the competition to the
their real future fear . . . PostgreSQL X   : )

Seriously though, whereas MySQL's ease of use was a draw to the
burgeoning web designers-turned-PHP codies, a lot of heavy DB users
considered and still consider Postgres the open-source alternative to
Oracle.

When I was new to DB newbie, I followed that crowd (like the OpenACS
folks) from Oracle to Postgres.

While this deal doesn't change the quality of MySQL at all yet, it
could affect the evangelizing efforts of the community. It can't help,
I wouldn't think, unless Oracle just smothers them out, which is
possible, though not probable, since the two database's customers are
so different and there is money to be made by keeping the DB alive.

A community would always remain to take up the torch, but the Postgres
community builds Postgres, while the MySQL community has a different
dynamic entirely.