Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/10/24 03:11, John Bateson wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> The end of my working life was taken up with developing and supporting a
> Scientific Research establishment near Warrington in the UK. I had a
> small team of programmer who did an excellent job for me and with me.
>
> The software was Ingres and the main program supporting user
> administration on a Synchrotron was built  under OpenROAD with other
> developments around the on-site stores and finance  using ABF since the
> stores workers found this much faster than a GUI! There was also some
> web development use .Net practises.
>
> This was a quite complex system in the end with nearly 200 tables.
>
> We ended up using Ingres Replicator with the intention of running it
> from two sites 180 miles apart – at the time it was a pile of
> *notquitegoodenough*! This was early this century so Actian may have
> made some improvements since then…
>
> So much for the background to establish that I am not a complete newbie,
> just out of the loop for a while.
>
> *Using Postgres and PGAdmin -4*.
>
> So, 20 years later I am developing, (unpaid) a new project for some
> historic railways in the UK and linking these to the development and
> design of a range of kits for those interested in model railways. This
> is getting towards 20 tables so far.
>
> What I really need is a recommendation for the current and best practice
> for an easy GUI that will allow me to press a button without opening up
> PGAdmin or a black screen, i.e. the traditional .EXE file I can put on a
> button on the screen on the screen on a Windows 11 based system.

With Postgres or other similar client-server database there will be a
need to set up the database server somewhere first, before you get to
the GUI interface part.

Are you planning on a single instance of Postgres that folks log in to
from multiple locations?

Or do want a stand alone setup that each user has on their machine?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com