Re: [bug fix] PITR corrupts the database cluster

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: [bug fix] PITR corrupts the database cluster
Дата
Re: [bug fix] PITR corrupts the database cluster  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>On 2013-07-24 15:45:52 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>*separate*
>> >could
>> >two

>> >callback
>occuring
>> >on

>> >currently
>> >
>> >And CREATE/DROP TABLESPACE.
>> >
>> >Not really related, but CREATE DATABASE's implementation makes me
>itch
>> >everytime I read parts of it...
>>
>> I've been hoping that we could get rid of the rm_cleanup mechanism
>entirely. I eliminated it for gist a while back, and I've been thinking
>of doing the same for gin and btree. The way it works currently is
>buggy - while we have rm_safe_restartpoint to avoid creating a
>restartpoint at a bad moment, there is nothing to stop you from running
>a checkpoint while incomplete actions are pending. It's possible that
>there are page locks or something that prevent it in practice, but it
>feels shaky.
>>
>> So I'd prefer a solution that doesn't rely on rm_cleanup.
>Piggybacking on commit record seems ok to me, though if we're going to
>have a lot of different things to attach there, maybe we need to
>generalize it somehow. Like, allow resource managers to attach
>arbitrary payload to the commit record, and provide a new
>rm_redo_commit function to replay them.
>
>The problem is that piggybacking on the commit record doesn't really
>fix
>the problem that we end up with a bad state if we crash in a bad
>moment.
>
>For CREATE DATABASE you will have to copy the template database
>*before*
>you commit the pg_database insert. Which means if we abort before that
>we have old data in the datadir.
>
>For DROP DATABASE, without something like incomplete actions,
>piggybacking on the commit record doesn't solve the issue of
>CHECKPOINTS
>either, because the commit record you piggybacked on could have
>committed before a checkpoint, while you still were busy deleting all
>the files.

That's no different from CREATE TABLE / INDEX and DROP TABLE / INDEX. E.g. If you crash after CREATE TABLE but before
COMMIT,the file is leaked. But it's just a waste of space, everything still works.

It would be  nice to fix that leak, for tables and indexes too...

- Heikki