Re: Timing out A Blocker Based on Time or Count of Waiters

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Timing out A Blocker Based on Time or Count of Waiters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/22/24 12:41, Fred Habash wrote:
> Lock tree: All PID's waiting on a lock held by/blocked by single blocker
> PID. Similar to what you see in the output of this script:
> https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils/blob/master/sql/locktree.sql
> <https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils/blob/master/sql/locktree.sql> .
> It uses the dot connotation to draw a tree.
>
> Waiters: The PID (first column) returned by this query, for example
>
> SELECT
>      activity.pid,
>      activity.usename,
>      activity.query,
>      blocking.pid AS blocking_id,
>      blocking.query AS blocking_query
> FROM pg_stat_activity AS activity
> JOIN pg_stat_activity AS blocking ON blocking.pid =
> ANY(pg_blocking_pids(activity.pid));
>
> DDL example: An 'alter table ... alter column ...' would cause all DML
> and SELECT statements to wait/block.
>
> Hope this answers your question. Thanks for your interest.

Yes.

To me the issue is,

"Facing an issue where sometimes humans login to a database and run DDL
statements causing a long locking tree of over 1000 waiters."

where the problem is people running disruptive statements without regard
to planning or what else is happening on the database. I am not sure
that dropping a statement just based on a count is progress. If the DDL
is important then it needs to be run at some point and you are
conceivably back at the same blocking issue. This then leads to two
possibilities either the DDL is not important and shouldn't be run or it
is and some thought and timing needs to be applied before it is run.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com