Re: disk space usage unexpected

От Rose Zhou
Тема Re: disk space usage unexpected
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Vacuum Full Verbose did not get the disk space back to OS, it did bloat my indexes, also got out of memory error. I dumped the suspicious table, deleted it, re-created it, then restored the data and re-indexed the data, so I got the disk space back.

To avoid the database eating up the disk space again, I have adjusted the autovacuum parameters, to make it keep up with the updates.

Not sure if this is the right way to solve this kind of problem.

Best Regards

Rose Zhou

From: Ben Chobot [mailto:bench@silentmedia.com]
Sent: 17 February 2010 13:34
To: Rose Zhou
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] disk space usage unexpected

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Rose Zhou wrote:

Thanks Ben:

I will adjust the auto vacuum parameters. It is on now, maybe not frequently enough.
How to get the disk space back to OS? Will a Vacuum Full Verbose get the disk space back to OS?

Yes, but it might bloat your indexes. Do you actually need to get your disk space back? If you did, would the database just eat it up again after more activity?