Re: Create index on the year of a date column

От Nick Barr
Тема Re: Create index on the year of a date column
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks guys for all the responses, they are really helpful. To
summarise:

1. Use an index on the entire date column and use ranges to make use of
the index.
2. Create a dummy function that wraps the extract function call, and use
this as the index.
3. Create another column, for the year, filled in automatically using a
trigger and index that.
4. Wait until 7.4 which will allow me to do this.

Brilliant. I suspect I will probably choose the first one for now, and
see how that fares. I suspect, as per normal with Postgres, it will
absolutely fly ;-). However, if performance becomes more of an issue,
which it probably wont, then 7.4 will be out by then so I will use that.

Thanks again for your time and responses. Much appreciated

Kind Regards,

Nick Barr
WebBased Ltd.

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.