Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 16, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> BTW, another objection to pg_config_param as designed here is that
> a "name" is not an appropriate way to store possibly-qualified
> custom GUC names.  It's not long enough (cf. valid_custom_variable_name).

I was aware of that, but figured not all GUCs have to be grantable.  If it doesn't fit in a NameData, you can't grant
onit.

If we want to be more accommodating than that, we can store it as text, just like pg_db_role_names does, but then we
needmore code complexity to look it up and to verify that it is unique.  (We wouldn't want multiple records for the
same<role,guc> pair.)

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company