Re: do I need a rollback() after commit that fails?

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: do I need a rollback() after commit that fails?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 30 Sep 2009, at 4:01, Vick Khera wrote:

> The question still stands: if the COMMIT fails, ROLLBACK is not
> required in Postgres.  Is this portable to other databases?

I don't think so. I recall messages on this list claiming that some
databases (MS SQL, MySQL if memory serves me) commit the queries up to
the failed query anyway if you issue a COMMIT (which is just wrong!),
so the commit succeeds and there's nothing to rollback after that.
Some searching should turn up those messages, if I recall correctly
the issue at hand was that people expected that behaviour in Postgres
too.

But I don't know what Perl DBI does internally when issuing $dbh-
 >commit(), maybe it's taking such things into account already.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4ac356da11681178911724!