Re: Using the REPLACE command to replace all vowels

От George Pavlov
Тема Re: Using the REPLACE command to replace all vowels
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is there any requirement that you have to use REPLACE? Another (possibly
better) way to do the same is by doing:

  select translate(your_string,'aeiou','') from your_table;

In my experience that performs much better than regexp. I just ran it on
a table of about 100K random U.S addresses and TRANSLATE outperforms
REGEXP_REPLACE by a factor of 2. I would use TRANSLATE unless you need
some of the heavier lifting that REGEXP can provide.