Re: How to "unique-ify" HUGE table?

От George Pavlov
Тема Re: How to "unique-ify" HUGE table?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
You don't say what PG version you are on, but just for kicks you may try
using GROUP BY instead of DISTINCT. Yes, the two should perform the
same, but with 8.1 (or maybe 8.0) I had seen situations where GROUP BY
was faster (admittedly this happened with more complex queries). So, try
this:

  CREATE TEMP TABLE huge_table AS SELECT x, y FROM foo GROUP BY 1, 2;

Note that you may be tempted to add an index on foo(x,y), but I don't
think that helps (or at least I have not been able to hit the index in
similar situations).