Re: Large number of short lived connections - could a connection pool help?

От Ben Chobot
Тема Re: Large number of short lived connections - could a connection pool help?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Nov 14, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Cody Caughlan wrote:

> We have anywhere from 60-80 background worker processes connecting to
> Postgres, performing a short task and then disconnecting. The lifetime
> of these tasks averages 1-3 seconds.

[snip]

> Is this something that I should look into or is it not much of an
> issue? Whats the best way to determine if I could benefit from using a
> connection pool?

Yes, this is precisely a kind of situation a connection pooler will help with. Not only with the the connection set
up/teardown overhead, but also by using resources on your server better.... you probably don't actually have 60-80
coreson your server, so reducing that number down to just a few that are actually working will the Postgres finish them
fasterto work on others. Basically, the queueing happens off the postgres server, letting postgres use the box with
lessinterruptions.

Now, is it a problem to not use a pooler? That depends on if it's causing you grief or not. But if you think you'll get
moreconnection churn or larger numbers of workers, then a connection pooler will only help more.