Re: Concurrent free-lock

От Pailloncy Jean-Gerard
Тема Re: Concurrent free-lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> This is a very important thread. Many thanks to Jean-Gerard for
> bringing
> the community's attention to this.
Thanks Simon.

I was working during my PhD on some parallel algorithm. The computer
was a 32-grid processor in 1995. In this architecture we need to do the
lock on the data, with minimum contention. We can not do a lock on the
code path with mutex, because there was 32 different boards and a sync
across the system was not doable. The data was a mesh graph that
represent the segmentation of some satellite image.

When I see this paper with some good test, I remember this old days and
think that if we have some generic algorithm for type like hash, tree,
list with "lock-free parallel read" property it will be a very good
win.
I think about an other paper I read on the PostgreSQL site about an
algorithm with a global ordering of transaction design for multi-master
database. I do not remember the url.

The third thing that come to my mind, is the next generation of
slony/pgcluster.

Cordialement,
Jean-Gérard Pailloncy