Re: Scrolling vs. pagination

От J Payne
Тема Re: Scrolling vs. pagination
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

I haven’t used pgAdmin 4 in quite some time, but I checked out the web page today and I see from the screenshots that the output is still paginated for simple queries (like “SELECT * FROM mytable”).  For me, that is a deal breaker.  Although pgAdmin3 certainly has issues, being able to effortlessly scroll through a long list is still far, far better than any sort of pagination could ever be.

Although scrolling can be avoided by writing detailed queries, scrolling is extremely useful for flicking through a table to get a feeling for what’s in it, how many missing values there are, and to catch bad entries (especially if you have no idea what the bad variants might be).  It’s even useful with giant tables of hundreds of thousands or millions of rows: although no-one would want to scroll through every row, it still gives you a nearly-instant snapshot.

I assume that there are others, perhaps many, who feel as I do, and I beg the pgAdmin4 team to consider making query output a single-page scrolling list.  More august personalities than I am have commented on why scrolling should be preferred to pagination.  Here is Mike Bostock of D3 fame, for example: https://bost.ocks.org/mike/scroll/.

Thanks,

John

Сообщение: AW: New font for testing in Query Editor tool