Re: Custom format for pg_dumpall

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Custom format for pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I'm envisioning
>> some super-archive format in which there are individual entries
>> containing the pg_dump output for each database

> Not sure about this. I'd be inclined to investigate just adding another
> attribute to each TOC entry (database_name).

That seems like it would complicate both pg_dump and pg_restore unduly.
I'd rather keep both of them as simple one-database programs.  To take
just one objection, people are accustomed to be able to load a pg_dump
from database foo into a database with a different name; that would be
either impossible or very klugy if we do what you're thinking of.

>> This does seem like a nice solution to the perennial problem of dumping
>> blobs easily.

> What is this?

That you can't use pg_dumpall if you want to dump blobs too.