Re: Mac OS X

От Alexander Staubo
Тема Re: Mac OS X
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/12/07, Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> wrote:
> I tried to install postgres onto my macbook via 'fink' and don't like
> it all that much.
> I decided to install from source, it's a fallback to my slackware days.

Try MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/), a modern BSD-style ports
system for OS X. The PostgreSQL port sets up everything except initdb,
and installs a launchd script for controlling the postmaster daemon:

$ port install postgresql82-server

MacPorts has a good selection of support packages -- PostGIS, language
bindings, etc.

One advantage of using MacPorts is that, quite unlike Debian's
packages, ports are incredibly easy to write -- each port is just a
small text file. If the sources have a reasonably modern layout
(tarball, configure script, makefile), it's around three lines in
addition to the package name, description etc. MacPorts handles the
downloading, compiling, staging, file tracking, uninstallation and so
on. So if MacPorts doesn't have a package you want, you can still
install it from source and have it integrated into the MacPorts
universe.

Alexander.