Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?
Дата
Re: TCP/IP with 7.4 beta2 broken?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> OK, now we are getting somewhere. I see that this would work. It's a bit
> ugly, though - with this plan the sample file in both CVS and the
> installation won't necessarily be what actually get put in place.

Well, like I said, it's not real pretty.  But the same is already true
of postgresql.conf.sample --- initdb edits that.  I don't see that
having it edit pg_hba.conf.sample too is so bad.

> What if some clever installer/administrator deliberately alters their
> installed sample file?

I don't think it would hurt them.  The editing will consist of a sed
script to comment or uncomment the line containg ::1, it wouldn't touch
anything else.

> Could we get the configure script to do it instead, since it too should
> know about ip6 capability? (I guess then we'd have
> pg_hba.conf.sample.in). That strikes me as being a lot cleaner.

Bruce and I talked about that alternative too, but we felt that it made
more sense to keep the processing of pg_hba.conf.sample parallel to what
happens to postgresql.conf.sample.  Further down the road we might need
initdb-time checks to decide what to do to the sample file, just as we
already need for postgresql.conf.sample.