Re: Disc space usage

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Disc space usage
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Matthew Wakeling <matthew@flymine.org> writes:
> The oid in the error message is of a database that no longer exists, which
> indicates that it is *probably* referring to the template database.
> Unfortunately my colleagues just wrote the script so that it retries, so
> we don't have a decent log of the failures, which were a while back.
> However, I have now altered the script so that it fails with a message
> saying "Report this to Matthew", so if it happens again I'll be able to
> give you some more detail.

One other bit of possibly useful data would be to eyeball the file mod
times in the orphaned subdirectories.  If they were from failed CREATE
DATABASEs then I'd expect every file in a given directory to have the
same mod time (modulo the amount of time it takes to copy the DB, which
is probably not trivial for the DB sizes you're dealing with).  If you
could also correlate that to the times you saw CREATE failures then it'd
be pretty convincing that we know failed CREATEs are the issue.

Also, I would definitely urge you to update to 8.3.4.  Although I'm not
seeing a mechanism for CREATE to fail to clean up like this, I'm looking
at the 8.3 branch tip code, not 8.3.0 ...