Re: psql behavior change on upgrade from version 12.x to 13.1

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql behavior change on upgrade from version 12.x to 13.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> writes:
> HAS ANYBODY ELSE SEEN WHAT I REPORT BELOW?

> First observation

> Now, when I copy a single line SQL command, terminated with semicolon and newline from the Text Edit app (with
Command-Cor the menu item) and then paste it into psql (with Command-V or the menu item), the newline isn't respected.
Ihave to hit the return key by hand to see the effect. Moreover, the pasted line has a highlighted background.

> Second observation

> When I copy _several_ lines of SQL commands from the Text Edit app and then paste them into psql, none of the
newlinesare respected. (I still get the strange highlight.) Now when I hit the return key, I get errors like this:
>   \i: extra argument "<the text of the line>" ignored

FWIW, I'm not seeing that here, with Big Sur 11.2 and up-to-date Postgres.

In a typical Postgres build, most of psql's input behavior is not
determined by psql itself, but by libreadline (or possibly libedit,
if PG was configured to use that instead).  I speculate that your
build switched to a newer version of readline or libedit, and it's
behaving differently than you're used to.  You could get some info
about this by applying "otool -L" to the psql executable.  On my
laptop I see

$ otool -L /Users/tgl/testversion/bin/psql
/Users/tgl/testversion/bin/psql:
        /Users/tgl/testversion/lib/libpq.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.14.0)
        /usr/lib/libedit.3.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 3.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1292.60.1)

of which the relevant bit for this purpose is "/usr/lib/libedit.3.dylib",
pointing to the Apple-supplied version of libedit.  Maybe you see
something else?

От: Bryn Llewellyn
Сообщение: Re: psql behavior change on upgrade from version 12.x to 13.1
От: Bryn Llewellyn
Сообщение: Re: psql behavior change on upgrade from version 12.x to 13.1