Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Дата
Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

> Personally ... as long as a v8.x client can talk to a v7.x backend, you
> have my vote ... I'm more apt to upgrade my clients before my servers
> anyway ...

Surely that's not true for a production environment. You have one database but
potentially dozens of various programs around that access it. The main
application, some backend scripts for batch jobs, your backup process, your
monitoring systems... Not all of these are necessarily on the same machine.

It's upgrading the database that's likely to be the driving motivation for new
sql or storage features. People usually don't get excited about upgrading the
client libraries :)

--
greg