Re: Dynamically Allocated System Resources

От Douglas McNaught
Тема Re: Dynamically Allocated System Resources
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> writes:

> Running PG8.1 - will it recognize CPU and memory that are added
> dynamically to the server when the postmaster is running?

Depends somewhat on the OS.  If it allows existing processes to be
scheduled on newly added CPUs, then existing backends will be able to
run on them.  Newly added memory will be available for private
(per-backend) allocations and (I assume) disk caching by the OS, but
not for addition to the Postgres shared memory pool (since that is all
allocated when the server starts up).

In general, if the OS makes newly added resources available to
existing processes, PG should be able to use them.

-Doug