Re: Postgres table contents versioning

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: Postgres table contents versioning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
jsmgage@numericable.fr (John Gage) writes:
> Is there an equivalent of svn/git etc. for the data in a database's
> tables?
>
> Can I set something up so that I can see what was in the table two
> days/months etc. ago?
>
> I realize that in the case of rapidly changing hundred million row
> tables this presents an impossible problem.
>
> The best kludge I can think of is copying the tables to a directory
> and git-ing the directory.

There's a whole set of literature on the notion of temporal data.

Richard Snodgrass' book is rather good.
  <http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/rts/>

The typical approach involves adding a timestamp or two to tables to
indicate when the data is considered valid.  That's rather different
from Git :-).
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html