Re: why two dashes in extension load files

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: why two dashes in extension load files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:

>>> Because we'd have to forbid dashes in extension name and version
>>> strings.  This was judged to be a less annoying solution.  See
>>> yesterday's discussion.
>
>> I'm not convinced.  There was nothing in that discussion why any
>> particular character would have to be allowed in a version number.
>
> Well, there's already a counterexample in the current contrib stuff:
> uuid-ossp.  We could rename that to uuid_ossp of course, but it's
> not clear to me that there's consensus for forbidding dashes here.

I suspect that "_" might be troublesome.

Let me observe on Debian policy... It requires that package names
consist as follows:
  Package names (both source and binary, see Package, Section 5.6.7)  must consist only of lower case letters (a-z),
digits(0-9), plus (+)  and minus (-) signs, and periods (.). They must be at least two  characters long and must start
withan alphanumeric character.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Source

I suspect that we'll need to have a policy analagous to that.

Also worth observing: Debian package files are of the form:  "${package}_${version}-${dversion}_${arch}.deb"

where package and version have fairly obvious interpretation, and... - dversion indicates a sequence handled by Debian
-arch indicates CPU architecture (i386, amd64, ...)

Probably the dversion/arch bits aren't of interest to us, but the
remainder of the notation used by Debian seems not inapplicable for us.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html