Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> writes:

> I am also very interesting in this very question.. Is there any way to
> declare a persistant cursor that remains open between pg sessions?
> This would be better than a temp table because you would not have to
> do the initial select and insert into a fresh table and incur those IO
> costs, which are often very heavy, and the reason why one would want
> to use a cursor.

TANSTAAFL. How would such a persistent cursor be implemented if not by
building a temporary table somewhere behind the scenes?

There could be some advantage if the data were stored in a temporary table
marked as not having to be WAL logged. Instead it could be automatically
cleared on every database start.

--
greg