Re: Toast issues with OldestXmin going backwards

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Toast issues with OldestXmin going backwards
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

 Tom> Have we given up on the angle of "prevent OldestXmin from
 Tom> retreating"?

I haven't, and I'm thinking about it, but I don't have an immediate
solution.

Thinking-out-loud mode:

1) we could store minimum values for OldestXmin for each database in
   some kind of shared-memory structure. Downside is that we can't
   easily make this fixed-size, since we don't know how many DBs there
   are - we can't size it based on connections since we need to be able
   to track values for dbs with no currently active connections.

   (Or do we need to track it across restarts? maybe we do, to deal with
   replication slaves without slots, or changes in parameters)

2) in-place updates of a new column in pg_database? and a control file
   field for the global values? not back-patchable, but would it work
   going forward?

3) there was the previous suggestion to store it per-table in the main
   table's reloptions and inplace-update that; this isn't impossible,
   but it would be fiddly to do because toast-table-only vacuums would
   need to locate the main table, and lock order issues might get
   interesting. (Maybe it would be sneakier to store it in the toast
   table's otherwise-unused reloptions, and have vacuum/create index on
   the main table consult that? This assumes that we only care about the
   issue when dealing with toast tables)

4) something else??

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)