Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> So, to a first approximation, the PG list traffic has been constant
>>> since 2000.  Not the result I expected.
>
>> I also was confused by its flatness.  I am finding the email traffic
>> almost impossible to continue tracking, so something different is
>> happening, but it seems it is not volume-related.
>
> Yes, my perception also is that it's getting harder and harder to keep
> up with the list traffic; so something is happening that a simple
> volume count doesn't capture.

I've noticed recently that the mailing list traffic seems very "bursty". We
have days with hundreds of messages on lots of different in-depth topics and
other days with hardly any messages at all. I wonder if it's hard to follow
because we've been picking up more simultaneous threads instead of all being
on one thread together before moving on to the next one.

Another idea, I wonder if the project has gone more international and
therefore has more traffic at odd hours of the day for everyone. It would also
mean more long-lived threads with large latencies between messages and replies.

--
  Gregory Stark