Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joe Abbate <jma@freedomcircle.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> We've been experiencing PG server process crashes about every other week
> on a mostly read only website (except for a single insert/update on page
> access).  Typical log entries look like
>
> LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 11200) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
> LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
>
> Other than the checkpointer, the server process that was terminated was
> either doing a "BEGIN READ WRITE", a "COMMIT" or executing a specific
> SELECT.
>
> The database is always recovered within a second and everything else
> appears to resume normally.  We're not certain about what triggers this,
> but in several instances the web logs show an external bot issuing
> multiple HEAD requests on what is logically a single page.  The web
> server logs show "broken pipe" and EOF errors, and PG logs sometimes
> shows a number of "incomplete startup packet" messages before the
> termination message.
>
> This started roughly when the site was migrated to Go, whose web
> "processes" run as "goroutines", scheduled by Go's runtime (previously
> the site used Python and Gunicorn to serve the pages, which probably
> isolated the PG processes from a barrage of nearly simultaneous requests).
>
> As I understand it, the PG server processes doing a SELECT are spawned
> as children of the Go process, so presumably if a "goroutine" dies, the
> associated PG process would die too, but I'm not sure I grasp why that
> would cause a recovery/restart.  I also don't understand where the
> checkpointer process fits in the picture (and what would cause it to die).

A signal 9 typically means something is explicitly killing processes. I
would check your system logs in case something is killing processes due
to running out of some resource (like memory). If it is a fairly recent
Debian system, journalctl might be useful for checking.

--
Tim Cross

Сообщение: Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing
Сообщение: Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing