Re: src/backend/parser/parse_expr.c:exprTypmod() question

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: src/backend/parser/parse_expr.c:exprTypmod() question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:

> I'm working on user-defined typmod and try to move all typmod calculations into
> type-specific functions. But there is a strange place:
>
> /*
>  *  exprTypmod -
>  *    returns the type-specific attrmod of the expression, if it can be
>  *    determined.  In most cases, it can't and we return -1.
>  */
> So, I can't understand why it's needed at all. First, it's returns length as
> typmod, second, it looks like optimization, but I don't believe in significant
> benefits... It's a constant coming from query. Am I missing something?

I think that comes into play in cases like the following:

postgres=# create table qux as (select 'foo'::bpchar, 'foo'::varchar, 0::numeric);
SELECT
postgres=# \d qux          Table "public.qux"Column  |       Type        | Modifiers
---------+-------------------+-----------bpchar  | character(3)      | varchar | character varying | numeric | numeric

Note that unlike most of the built-in types bpchar doesn't actually make much
sense without a typmod. NUMERIC, VARCHAR, etc can all exist without a typmod
and behave sensibly but bpchar without a typmod would just be a varchar. The
default for CHARACTER without a typmod is CHAR(1) which is what happens if you
do ::CHAR but I guess we don't want to do that for ::bpchar.

On the other hand I can manually create a table with a column of type bpchar
and it does behave like a varchar with strange comparison semantics so I guess
you could argue bpchar without a typmod isn't completely meaningless.