Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:
>
>> My point was more that you could have a data warehouse on a non-dedicated
>> machine, you could have a web server on a non-dedicated machine, or you could
>> have a mixed server on a non-dedicated machine.
>
> I should just finish the documentation, where there will be a big disclaimer
> saying "THESE SETTINGS ASSUME A SERVER DEDICATED TO POSTGRESQL!"  That's the
> context here.  Why, after you follow my tuning instructions, you're lucky if
> the server will run anything but the database afterwards.

So you're getting rid of the "desktop" mode altogether? That's more drastic
than I was suggesting. I was suggesting that you want to separate "desktop"
into a separate option form the workload list.

What users are getting now is kind of like asking users "Would you like a
small, medium, large, or diet Coke?"

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!