Postgres and fsync

От Tim Cross
Тема Postgres and fsync
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

the recent article in LWN regarding issues with fsync and error
reporting in the Linux kernel and the potential for lost data has
prompted me to ask 2 questions.

1. Is this issue low level enough that it affects all potentially
supported sync methods on Linux? For example, if you were concerned
about this issue and you had a filesystem which supports open_sync or
open_datasync etc, is switching to one of these options something which
should be considered or is this issue low level enough that all sync
methods are impacted?

2. If running under xfs as the file system, what is the preferred sync
method or is this something which really needs to be benchmarked to make
a decision?

For background, one of our databases is large - approximately 7Tb with
some tables which have large numbers of records with large inserts per
day i.e. approx 1,600,000,000 new records per day added and a similar
number deleted (no updates), maintaining a table size of about 3Tb,
though it is expected we will be increasing the number of retained
records and will see the table grow to about 6Tb. This represents a fair
amount of I/O and we want to ensure we have the fastest I/O we can
achieve with highest data reliability we can get. The columns in the
table are small i.e. 7 double precision, 2 integer, 1 date and 2
timestamp.

Platform is RHEL, Postgres 9.6.8, filesystem xfs backed by HP
SAN. Current wal_sync_method is fsync.

Tim

--
Tim Cross