Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> What I would definitely like to see for 8.3 is some performance testing
> done to determine whether we ought to change the current defaults.
> (Both TOAST_TUPLES_PER_PAGE and EXTERN_TUPLES_PER_PAGE ought to be looked
> at.)

It will take some thinking before it's even clear what we should be measuring.
The "optimal" value will depend heavily on the usage pattern so the best value
for the default will be something hand-wavy like "the smallest tuple size
where the cost of a select including the column is greater than the time saved
on a select not including the column" or something like that.