Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2007 00:38 schrieb Gregory Stark:
>> > I think people are worried that an 'm' in one column might mean something
>> > different than an 'm' in another column, and perhaps that is confusing.
>>
>> To whom? the person writing it?
>
> If everyone around here had gotten their way we'd already be in a situation
> were you could write
>
> log_rotation_age = 5m
> log_rotation_size = 5m
>
> And someone trained in the metric system would think, "What, five meters?".

Only if that same person had written it that way in the first place.

We're not talking about having Postgres report messages using these
abbreviations. Only accept them when they're entered by users.

> So it rotates when age and size are the same or what?  And the ultimate
> consequence of that thinking is that the PostgreSQL developers are uneducated
> dummies and clearly PostgreSQL cannot be a quality product if they can't even
> get that right.

Not PostgreSQL developers, Postgres users. We already know the developers are
uneducated dummies since Tom, myself, and others have all run into this
already.

Сообщение: Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Сообщение: Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent