Re: renaming configure.in to configure.ac

От ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Тема Re: renaming configure.in to configure.ac
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 11:41:56AM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>
>> Instead of doing this on the master branch, would it be worth defining a
>> namespace for branches that the buildfarm tests in addition to master
>> and REL_*_STABLE?
>>
>> In the Perl world we have this in the form of smoke-me/* branches, and
>> it's invaluable to be able to test things across many platforms without
>> breaking blead (our name for the main development branch).
>
> Potentially.  What advantages and disadvantages has Perl experienced?

The advantage is getting proposed changes tested on a number of
platforms that individual developers otherwise don't have access to.
For example http://perl.develop-help.com/?b=smoke-me%2Filmari%2Fremove-symbian
shows the reults of one branch of mine.

The only disadvantage is that it takes up more build farm capacity, but
it's not used for all changes, only ones that developers are concerned
might break on other platforms (e.g. affecting platform-specific code or
constructs otherwise known to behave differently across platforms and
compilers).

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod