Re: Scheduler in Postgres

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Scheduler in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Guy Rouillier" <guyr@masergy.com> writes:

> So why do I need to set up a cron job and a shell script whose only task is
> to connect to the database and start up the stored procedure? Wouldn't it be
> much simpler just to have a schedule in PostgreSQL that says "at 12:01, run
> this stored procedure"?

Why is that any simpler? You need a shell script or web server or other client
to do everything else you want to do in the database, would it be simpler if
we just put the web server and the command line in the database?

Why do you think it would be simpler to have to maintain a whole other
scheduler just for database jobs instead of just using the one you're already
using? That seems like a whole new pile of moving parts to do something you
already have working machinery for.

--
greg