Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

От Tollef Fog Heen
Тема Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
]] Robert Haas

| I've sometimes wondered why keepalives aren't the default for all TCP
| connections.  They seem like they're usually a Good Thing (TM), but I
| wonder if we can think of any situations where someone might not want
| them?

As somebody mentioned somewhere else (I think): If you pay per byte
transmitted, be it 3G/GPRS.  Or if you're on a very, very high-latency
link or have no bandwidth.  Like, a rocket to Mars or maybe the moon.
While I think they are valid use-cases, requiring people to change the
defaults if that kind of thing sounds like a sensible solution to me.

--
Tollef Fog Heen