Re: One solution for Packages in Postgre

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: One solution for Packages in Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
venkatrao.b@tcs.com writes:
> I am new to Postgre. We are migrating an oracle db to postgre. In
> oracle we have used so many packages.  As per my understanding, there
> is no oracle package like functionality in postgre. I was just trying
> to find some way to migrate ocale packages to postgre.

This has been discussed already in the past, see the archives. In short,
Oracle Packages are not something the PostgreSQL community intend to
offer directly, even if we have some plans to provide better tools for
managing what we have and call "extensions".

The following shows the current state of the design, the code is yet to
be written, and that could happen this very year (it obviously missed
9.0).

  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ExtensionPackaging

You will note that this document refers to C-coded extensions, but is
compatible with an extension not containing one of those. It could well
be that the feature you're missing is offered by this design.

Regards,
--
dim