Re: DDL diff utility?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: DDL diff utility?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Steve Manes <smanes@magpie.com> writes:

> The problem is making sure that overworked developers actually log all these
> changes.
>
> What would be better is a DDL 'diff' utility that would look at a master and
> target database and generate the necessary ALTER statements needed to make the
> target db look like the master.

You might want to look for a perl tool called "Alzabo" I don't know which
databases it supports though.

I've found it useful to do regularly run a command like:
     pg_dump -s | grep -v '^-- TOC entry' > $@

and save the result in CVS. Then I can use cvs diff to view the changes in the
schema from one checkin to another. However this just shows what the net
differences are, not what the ALTER command would be to reproduce the change.

--
greg