Re: [GENERAL] timestamps

От tolik@icomm.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Тема Re: [GENERAL] timestamps
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>>>> "s" == strawman  <strawman@plexi.com> writes:

 s> I'm trying to create a column that defaults to the current time and date. I
 s> tried the SQLServer like syntax below but potgresql choked:

 s> CREATE TABLE clicks (
 s> avo_userid varchar (10) NOT NULL ,
 s> link_id int NOT NULL ,
 s> the_time timestamp NOT NULL CONSTRAINT df_now DEFAULT (timestamp('now'))
 s> );
 s> NOTICE:  there is more than one function named "timestamp"
 s> NOTICE:  that satisfies the given argument types. you will have to
 s> NOTICE:  retype your query using explicit typecasts.
 s> ERROR:  function timestamp(unknown) does not exist

 s> Is "timestamp" not both a type and a function? How can I look it
up?

There are data type named 'timestamp' and more than one function for
converting 'timestamp' -> other data type. B.e.

timestamp(data)
timestamp(datetime)
... etc

All of them have the same name - 'timestamp', but different type of
argument(s).

In your case parser dont know - what type of argument you use. You
must 'retype your query using explicit typecasts':

the_time timestamp NOT NULL CONSTRAINT df_now DEFAULT (timestamp('now'::datetime))

 s> And one more question: How does one construct a foreign key relationship in
 s> postgres?

In 6.4 there are no really 'primary ney - foreign key' constraint. If
you wont have this feature you must use 'refint' from postgres
contribs.

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff              Email:       tolik@icomm.ru
Senior programmer