Re: [HACKERS] [sqlsmith] Crash reading pg_stat_activity

От Andreas Seltenreich
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [sqlsmith] Crash reading pg_stat_activity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro writes:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Andreas Seltenreich
> <seltenreich@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Thomas Munro writes:

>> [..]
>>
>> I'm wondering: Is it safe to pass a pointer into a DSA at all?  If I
>> understand the comments correctly, they are not necessarily mapped (at
>> the same address) in an unrelated backend looking into pg_stat_activity,
>> and in this case a dsa_free() is not actually needed to trigger a crash.
>
> It is safe, as long as the segment remains mapped.  Each backend that
> attaches calls LWLockRegisterTranche giving it the address of the name
> in its virtual address space.

Hmok, I was under the impression only backends participating in the IPC
call the attach function, not necessarily the ones that could possible
want to resolve the wait_event_info they found in the procArray via
pgstat_get_wait_event().

>> Maybe instead of copying the name, just put the passed pointer itself
>> into the area?  Extensions using LWLockNewTrancheId need to use
>> shared_preload_libraries anyway, so static strings would be mapped in
>> all backends.
>
> Yeah that would be another way.  I had this idea that only the process
> that creates a DSA area should name it, and then processes attaching
> would see the existing tranche ID and name, so could use a narrower
> interface.  We could instead do as you say and make processes that
> attach provide a pointer to the name too, and make it the caller's
> problem to ensure that the pointers remain valid long enough; or go
> one step further and make them register/unregister it themselves.

Hmm, turning the member of the control struct   char lwlock_tranche_name[DSA_MAXLEN];
into   const char *lwlock_tranche_name;
and initializing it with the passed static const char * instead of
copying wouldn't require a change of the interface, would it?

But I really feel like I need to study the code a bit more before
commenting further…

regards,
Andreas