Re: Should contrib modules install .h files?

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Should contrib modules install .h files?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

 Tom> It seems like there were two separate areas of
 Tom> disagreement/questioning, one being the file layout (whether to
 Tom> add per-extension subdirectories) and then one about how one would
 Tom> actually use this, ie what would the -I switch(es) look like and
 Tom> where would they get injected.

 Tom> My impression is that there was consensus for per-extension
 Tom> subdirectories, but the usage scenario isn't totally designed yet.
 Tom> In principle, only the layout question has to be resolved to make
 Tom> it OK to ship this in v11.

Currently, everything is agnostic about the usage scenario - the
existing extension include files will work with either
-I$(includedir_server)/extension and #include "hstore/hstore.h", or with
-I$(includedir_server)/extension/hstore and #include "hstore.h".

 Tom> On the other hand, if there's no very practical way to use the
 Tom> per-extension subdirectory layout,

What constitutes "practical"?

Right now it seems unlikely that there's much of a use case for
referring to more than two different extensions at a time (a pl and a
data type, for building a transform module outside either the pl's or
the type's source tree). Referring to one is more likely (in my case,
hstore_pllua is written to build inside pllua-ng's source tree, so all
it needs is to get at hstore.h).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)