Re: Test::More version

От Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
Тема Re: Test::More version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> =?utf-8?Q?Dagfinn_Ilmari_Manns=C3=A5ker?= <ilmari@ilmari.org> writes:

Your MUA seems a bit MIME-deficient…

>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>> Based on this, I'm inclined to think we should select 0.98 as the
>>> minimum version.  Anything later would inconvenience some people.
>>> OTOH, it doesn't look like there's any value in promising compatibility
>>> with 0.96 instead, especially since I see a couple of subplan-related
>>> bug fixes in 0.97 and 0.98 in Test::Simple's changelog.
>
>> FWIW, here's a list of Test::More versions shipped with various Perl
>> releases. Since v5.12.0, the version does not change in minor releases.
>>   v5.12.0    0.94
>>   v5.14.0    0.98
>
> Ah-hah, that's a good way to think about it too.  There's surely
> little reason in worrying about a module version that did not ship
> in any Perl release, because what 99.9% of people will have is what
> shipped with their Perl release.

Or newer, if they ever install anything from CPAN, since many modules
depend on a newer version.  Some OSes even package newer versions
separately in addition to the core version, which install earlier in the
include path.  E.g. Debian has the following versions:

Debian |  Perl  |   core   | packaged
8      | 5.20.2 | 1.001002 | 1.001008
9      | 5.24.1 | 1.001014 | 1.302075
10     | 5.28.1 | 1.302133 | 1.302162