Re: massive quotes?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:35:18PM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> >
> > > I never agreed that a client solution would be satisfying. While
> > > frontends might try to hide some uglyness of the syntax to the user for
> > > single functions, editing large scripts with many functions is still
> > > suffering from "massive quotes".
> >
> > Oh, and you will be feeding those script to the backend through what?
>
> I don't know what he'd be using, but I use Perl/DBI for things like that.
> Sure, I could spawn psql instances, but it's a lot less efficient and is
> quite different from using DBI directly.

Could the function bodies be shipped over using the new FE protocol as
parameters? That would eliminate the quoting and simplify matters for DBI and
other drivers as well.

Then we just need a generic interface in plsql to handle passing parameters
using the new FE protocol. This would help not only when defining function
bodies but also when doing inserts/updates of large pieces of text.

--
greg