Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Certification

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Certification
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:48:16 +0000
>
> -performance is a little bit tougher because it may be a -hacker issue
> or an -admin issue.

In my experience it is really a carbon copy of -general. I wasn't even aware
of -admin before. Is it just "administrating postgres"? How is that different
from pgsql-general?

> Docs should absolutely be separate in order to keep the noise level
> down.

See this is the problem. Who is going to work on docs if not people
documenting the stuff they're writing? So everyone on -hackers ends up
subscribed to -docs as well anyways. And -bugs. You're creating them "to keep
the noise level down" but they don't keep the noise level down at all.

>> I would also suggest junking pgsql-advocacy and pgsql-www as well.
>> They're mostly noise but they're noise we should be at least
>
> Sorry but that isn't going to happen and pgsql-www is nowhere near just
> noise. It is vital to the operation of the infrastructure.

Sure it's vital that there be on-list discussions. But they should be in the
open, not in a quiet corner where others might miss them.

To put it simply I think we really only need two public lists:

pgsql-hackers
pgsql-users

There really aren't any other groups of people. "people who want to talk about
x" isn't a separate group and they shouldn't go off and talk about x without
the others. People who don't want to talk about x are still interested in
knowing that someone is talking about it and should still see that the
discussion is happening even if they don't follow it in detail.

--
  Gregory Stark