Re: Documenting serializable vs snapshot isolation levels

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Documenting serializable vs snapshot isolation levels
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> (3)  A finer-grained approach would be to make no-effect updates to
> rows to lock them if they are to be read for purposes of updating
> something else in the transaction.  This could have a high cost in
> disk access and table bloat.  It has the advantage of providing a
> simple technique which, if applied consistently, doesn't require
> knowledge of software beyond what is under development.

"no-effect updates" would be just the same as SELECT FOR UPDATE

However this has the same problem that we previously discussed where someone
can still add new records which would have changed the results of the query.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!