Re: Another HOT thought: why do we need indcreatexid at all?

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Another HOT thought: why do we need indcreatexid at all?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Gregory Stark" <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:

> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
>> AFAICS, the whole indcreatexid and validForTxn business is a waste of
>> code.  By the time CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY is ready to set indisvalid,
>> surely any transactions that could see the broken HOT chains are gone.
>> There might have been some reason for this contraption before we had
>> plan invalidation, but what use is it now?
>
> Argh, sorry, rereading your message I see there are a few details which I
> missed which completely change the meaning of it. Ignore my previous mail :(

In answer to the real question you were actually asking, I believe you're
correct that CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY should never need to set indcreatexid.
Only regular non-concurrent CREATE INDEX needs to protect against that
problem.

Сообщение: Re: Another HOT thought: why do we need indcreatexid at all?
Сообщение: Re: Another HOT thought: why do we need indcreatexid at all?